Start a new topic
Answered

Coefficient of friction (Mu) in CAESAR II

Hi guys, 

Please advice coefficient of friction will only play in +y (rest support) support type and will not play any role in guide or hold down support. I have checked model with and without Mu value in guides. There are much differences in expansion loads on those supports. One of my senior colleague told me, do not take Mu value in guides and Hold down as it will not have significant impact on piping loads. But I have seen a margin able difference between these two cases. 

Please advice how much significance of Mu value in guides and hold down supports. 

Ayaz    

PNG
(61.1 KB)

Best Answer

Friction is always applied 90 degrees to the normal plane of the restraint vector, if the pipe is acting on the support with an applied load.  The friction significance depends on the magnitude of the applied load on the restraint.

Thanks Xavier and George.

Answer

Friction is always applied 90 degrees to the normal plane of the restraint vector, if the pipe is acting on the support with an applied load.  The friction significance depends on the magnitude of the applied load on the restraint.

1 person likes this

I would expect the friction to play a role on any support if the pipe support has a considerable amount of force applied to it due to dead weight or expansion in the normal direction of the support.

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment