The workflow to activating a buried pipe analysis in CAESAR II are as follows:
- Model the buried system as nodes and elements in piping input. Determine at which sections you want the model to be buried. Here in this example, I expect nodes 65-190 to be buried.
- Activate the underground pipe modeler.
- Enter a new soil model to define the restraints soil stiffness. The American Lifelines Alliance provides a convenient document on guidelines for restraint stiffness in soil models, which is attached to this solution. Notice that the first soil model is defined as Model #2.
- Turn the soil model on and off at particular points in your model. For example, here I have the soil model active at node 65, but then deactive after node 80. Make sure you enter in the proper soil model number.
- Generate the new buried model. The results from this conversion are not stored in the report output, so it is valuable to save the results on this screen and keep it with your model data.
- Run static analysis of the new model and review results. The new model as been appended with a *B on the end. Your original model is left untouched, if you need to make revisions to the original model, or run the underground modeler again.